One of the most common house problems is mold and mildew. Aside from the health risks mold spores can put you into, it is also extremely harmful to the structural integrity of your home.
Have you ever thought about how come you never saw a fast-food chain being built but magically appears somewhere serving burgers and fries? Pretty much the same with mold! You might be wondering how this type of fungi suddenly pops out of nowhere. There’s got to be some “scaffolding” somewhere or at least a sign that says “construction on-going.” You’ve already seen the reasons behind those buildups. You didn’t know it was contributing to the nuisance.
But, before we go into the list of contributing factors, let’s talk about mold and mildew first.
What are Mold and Mildew?
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in the form of multicellular thread-like structures called hyphae. Mold can be black, white, orange, green, or purple. When growing on a surface, spores can be released to the air which can be easily inhaled. Mildew, on the other hand, is usually a gray or white substance with a powdery or fuzzy texture.
Both mold and mildew, regardless of the spores being dead or alive, can cause a wide range of health problems in both allergic and non-allergic people. Ailments associated with inhaling mold and mildew spores include throat irritation, nasal congestion, sneezing, asthma attacks, headaches, itchy eyes, and even skin rashes, especially when exposed to large colonies of mold.
Health consequences aside, mold and mildew are nasty visitors you wouldn’t want around your home. They discolor your walls, creating blotches of black or gray on walls, floors, and ceilings, just any surface they can thrive and their good to go. You will also notice how musty it can smell, undoubtedly far from the fresh, squeaky clean smell all of us want. They multiply quickly, so you must take action right away as soon as you notice some buildup.
Mold and mildew can appear almost everywhere because it thrives in moist and warm areas, both indoors and outdoors. Unfortunately, there are some things we do and don’t do that we are unaware of are promoting the growth of these unwanted visitors.
Overwatering the houseplants
New plants may need lots of water. But overwatering can cause soggy soil which openly invites mildew to grow.
Not fixing small leaks
Sometimes we think that water flushes everything, but minor leaks can only encourage the accumulation of moisture and eventually promoting mold.
Ignoring these small leaks can lead to more significant problems.
Any textiles such as carpets and couches are a perfect chance for mold to flourish. Any damp surface is a paradise for this fungus.
Indoor humidity might be too high
Especially during summer, there might be areas in your house that are well exposed to moisture, creating more humidity and allowing mold to linger.
Leaving wet towels or damp clothing
On the floor is a surefire way to grow some mold. Always hang it up or wash right away to dry.
Your bathroom is tightly shut
Bathrooms are most of the time wet and damp, which makes it a common breeding ground for mold and mildew. Try to leave your bathroom door open and run the ventilation for a good 20 minutes.
Hang up your mats and towels.
You don’t open your windows when cooking
Steamy kitchens offer a significant amount of fungal support. Always wipe up any spills right away and wash the dishtowels regularly.
Stacked cardboard boxes and piles of papers
Are perfect homes for those feisty molds. High humidity can quickly moisten the paper, so there’s no doubt mold can quickly buildup.
You can control the moisture of your room or garage by scattering activated charcoal around.
The abovementioned are just a few of the many everyday things we do that we think are harmless. So, the next time you spill water, think about how you can save yourself from mold growth and annoyingly damp surfaces by cleaning or drying it up right away. That’s hitting two birds with one stone!
Your Premier Connecticut Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced Connecticut Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
Home Quest Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Connecticut area, we can help!
Owned and operated by Professional Home Inspector, John F. Koch III , Home Quest Inspection takes pride in his commitment to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers.
Call (203) 951-0299 Today or Click To Schedule Online 24/7 Right From Our Website
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind ~ Home Quest Inspection